Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Women I've Met

There is a woman who favors paisley and olive drab (the color, not some new dull type of tapenade). I run into her in the ladies room. Frankly, let's be honest. I run into most of the women in my wing in the ladies room at some point. I drink a lot of water these days, which means I lose a lot of water. When I leave the office to head to the restroom, I also bring my water bottle to refill it. It takes everything I've got not to say "cause and effect" every time I walk out that door. I don't do it. But I want to.

So the woman in olive drab. It's not her limited color palette that makes her notable to me; it's her love of dental hygiene. How would I know about her passions when I don't even know her name? Well.

Albeit hesitantly, I have accepted there are people who brush their teeth at work. My time-honored appreciation for squeaky teeth is well-documented. Mere days before I face the inevitable 2-5, I maintain a cavity-free grill. However, this maintenance is not accomplished at work. There are more discrete methods. But this woman laughs in the face of discretion. Not only does she brush her chompers at work, she uses mouthwash and floss as well. Since, to my limited understanding, flossing is a once-a-day activity, I just can't comprehend why one would choose to practice said activity in the dimly-lit bathroom occupied by others. I'm just saying.

In more relevant news, the aforementioned birthday is Friday. It's the first one I'm not even remotely excited about. Sunday I met the incredibly gorgeous 19-year-old cousin of one of my beautiful friends. She had just gotten engaged and asked me breathlessly if, as a newlywed, I felt there were any distinctions between engagement and marriage. I looked at my beautiful friend out of the corner of my eye and laughed a little too devilishly. When we got on the topic of age, the pretty young thing said, "Oh my gosh, I KNOW! I'm going to be 20, and it's going to be sooo weird not to be a teenager anymore!" And, as precious as she was, I wasn't proud of the ugly face I made at my friend. I'd rather not inspire that face among any of the crickets ahead of me on our shared candlelit road.

2 comments:

Buffy said...

I can't brush my teeth in anyone else's bathroom.

Ever.

Heather said...

ha. i recently had to introduce myself at a business meeting and some quirky facilitator asked us to share an interesting fact about ourselves. my afternoon dentist appointment fresh on my mind, all i could squeek out was, my name is heather and i'm 26 and i've never had a cavity. lovely heather, lovely.

 
C'est-à-dire - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords