Sunday, January 23, 2005

Missing the Point

So, all that searching for sleds proved to be in vain, at least for this storm, as I'm suffering from a nasty cold. We're really not that snowed in (about 6" of accumulation); I think we just wanted to be. It's 17 degrees though, and I'm not trying to go outside. I'm hiding in order to put off watching this "monumental" game between the Falcons and the Eagles. Two really predatory birds. All the pregame show is talking about is the fact that both quarterbacks are African-American. I wonder how that makes them feel. Is it meant to imply that all the ones who went before them weren't as capable? Do they take it as a compliment or as condescension? I'm not sure what is supposed to be meant by that statement, but I don't like it. I just watched the National Anthem performed by a 10-year-old boy who clearly has some sort of terminal disease. The camera caught incredibly touching shots of the color bearers and players crying as the boy sang. When he was finished, the camera followed him off the field on his father's shoulders and the announcer said, "Clearly, in those shots you saw in the eyes of the competitors nothing but determination for this game..." That's funny. All I saw was tears.

No comments:

 
C'est-à-dire - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords